Empowerment Project Team Meeting 01-09-2011
ATTENDING: LaTonya, Carla, Brianna, Sunya, Kamilah, Cassandra, Pamela, Martis
- Next Board Meeting – Sunday February 13, 2011
- Board Meeting – Saturday February 19, 2011 (or February 26, 2011)
- February 26, 2011 – 1000 Days 1000 Gardens Kick Off
- March ??, 2011 – Film Arts EDU
- April 22, 2011 – Empowerment Project Retreat
Update from LaTonya
- Will Work with Cassandra on Feb 26th Community Garden event
- Film Arts Festival – Quarterly in April, June Sep Dec (Preview in March)
- Mentor program for girls – 12 week program Weds 4:30-5:30PM Mar 2 – May 18;
- Areas include Leadership, Philanthropy, Character Development/Personal Development
Update from Sunya
- Domestic Violence Boot Camp
- SF needs about 2 weeks to finish details on Domestic Violent
- SPONSORS: Business 1 and Christ Central
- Camouflage flyer
- SF asked Team members who have not submitted BIO were asked to send
- Retreat – April 22, 2011
Update from Briana
Update from Pamela Reid
- Shared information on current and future projects with the group
- Suggested River Inn Restaurant as option for retreat http://www.RiverInn Restaurant
- Involved in fitness program, Water Woman and interested in sharing with EP
The following people were asked to attend Board Meeting January 22, 2011 and make presentation on project or EP responsibility:
- Carla – Document Storage – Box.Net
- LaTonya – Film Festival
- Kamilah – Parents and Families
Update from Carla
- ThinkRecycle.com – project to recycle old cell phones and print cartridges
- Dining for Women – January 29, 2011 http://www.diningforwomen.org. For more info, see Carla.
It’s time to plan for our 4th annual spring retreat! In the past, our retreat was held at The Lodge on the Lake at Lake Lure, NC. Their website is www.lodgeonlakelure.com.
For this year, Pamela Reid suggests the Riverhouse Inn near Boone, NC (Wilkes County), their website is www.riverhousenc.com. SF contacted them and the Riverhouse owner, has us pencilled in for Saturday April 23rd, leaving April 24th.
This year there will be a strategic plannning board session. For the EP programs team, I propose a 3 hour session on Saturday, and another 2 hour session Sunday morning, with the rest being free time. I propose a 4 hour session for the board on Saturday. I’d like to do a dv bootcamp session at the retreat, and would like to start talking with you this month about what we want to accomplish at the retreat.
Please go to the websites and take the POLLs in the forum so we know your preference by February 19, 2011. Compare prices and accomodations, which are generally two to a room.. We will need to place a deposit in March for our rooms. 1/2 room due by March 12; 1/2 due April 10. EP will cover the cost of food, transportation and materials. You may also cast your votes by email or phone.
Results of poll will be shown after you vote!
Link Between Gardening and Mental Health
-“gardening utilizes the non-thinking right side of our brains (the side that is responsible for worrying, intrusive thoughts) and uses mainly the right side of the brain, which is responsible for handling our more creative aspects, including our senses. In short, gardening will help us stop worrying and start focusing on the “here and now”.”
- “For many women, getting out in the garden is a way to connect with nature. Being outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air is a mood lifter. The garden can also be a calming natural retreat”
- “Gardening provides a great way for families to work together on a rewarding project. You’ll have the opportunity to share the wonders of nature with your kids, while teaching them how to be responsible for garden tasks. The whole family can benefit from planning a garden together and watching as it grows.”
Research and Content contributed by Samantha Newton and Sunya Folyan
Here is the article link about Naima’s Healing Circle — Kamilah Hill. Her beautiful picture was small but hopefully you will be able to see it. Please feel free to comment on the articles at Examiner.com. To get to my articles, you will need to select the Charlotte edition and click on the health and beauty link–then select holistic health under health and fitness. I am listed as a Charlotte Holistic Health Examiner. You can also simply click on the link below:
Information about the Dining for Women collaboration with EP will be at my home on January 29th from 2pm – 4pm. I will be sending out a pingg invite for potential co-leaders (I am limited to 2 at this time) and to Sunya as a community organization partner/collaborating member to host or present a featured program sponsored by Dining for Women. As a chapter leader for Dining for Women, I will be able to provide educational resources, food recipes, and information about products and services provided by each featured program that help empower women internationally. It is also open to potential members who may be interested in becoming a part of this international giving circle but I am limited to about 12 people at the most. Please let me know if any of you are interested in attending by responding to this email and I will make sure to send you a formal (pingg) invitation. I will forward further details and the invitation to those who respond that they will be available to come to this invitational brunch and education session on Dining for Women, featured programs, and the plans for this chapter.
My email for Dining for Women is: email@example.com. Please add it to your email contact list so that your invitation will not go to your spam box.
I pray that each of you are enjoying Peace and Wellness in this new season.
I want to remind those who attended last month’s planning team meeting and inform all who were unable to attend that our 1000 Days 1000 Gardens initiative is beginning. In preparation for the public kickoff event which is currently scheduled for Saturday, February 26, 2011 we ask that each team member make a contribution of $5.00 towards the purchase of organic seeds. The seeds will be given to attendees during the public kickoff. The monies will be collected at our Sunday, January 9, 2011 meeting.
More information regarding this event as well other activities planned around this initiative will be discussed this Sunday. Please feel free to contact me with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love and Light,